Friday 21 November 2014

Original Brainstorm video



This is the original music video of the song me and Liam have decided to use. Personally, I do not like the music video as I feel like it the dancers do not fit the conventions of a indie-rock band. The scientific images connote that the song is about drugs however when me and Liam briefly analysed the lyrics we got the idea of a boy being cocky and outgoing, some lyrics can arguably connote drug use which this video seems to follow. 

I like how the video uses holiday snaps of Brain's character as it brings humour to the video and an understanding that there is a man called Brian in the story of the lyrics. I also like the shots of the band performing as the sepia and pale colouring does connote well to the genre of the band. Despite not liking the performers in the video, I like how the performance is edited so it fits the drums and bass in the song. 

The song does not use much Goodwin, the only lyric and visual I can notice from the video is the introduction when the vocalist says 'Brian' and a photograph of a man appears. The music and visual could arguably be applying Goodwin and the dancers are fast past just like the song is. Their record label and image is definitely being shown through the performance scenes but not as much as other Arctic Monkeys videos do. The band objectify the women in the video and apply male gaze, an example of this is at 1.28 when it shows a dancer's body and then highlights it more in a jump cut.

I do not like the music video much but I can see where the music video applies Goodwin theory and it is clear how they do, it could be arguably be applied more but the dance routine seems to take up the majority of the music video. There is no narrative and it is just two contrasting performances which convey the rhythm of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment